Google

Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Interview with Eric Gibbons

q) Well, first of all please tell us a little about yourself.

a)My name is Eric Gibbons; I am an artist working in Austin, TX USA

q)How would you describe your work?

a)My Work collects images from Popular Western culture, especially music and musicians, and repurposes them as pulpits from which to glean some kind of contemporary salvation.I use imagery such as pyramids, pink floyds, darth vaders, yokos, to express the farrago of a global communication society, where everything has been recorded, uploaded, broadcasted, podcasted and youtubed.
q) Did somebody encourage you to become an artist?

a)Grandma
q) What is your favorite medium?

a)Painting and Sculpture

q) Can you describe your process, from the seed of an idea to a complete work?

a)I rely heavily on instinct and intuition. Success for me is trusting my intuition. I like to tell myself jokes as I work so as not to drown in tears.

q) Generally speaking, where do your ideas come from?

a)Listening to records, looking at art, talking to people, trying to be a kind person, smoking pot sometimes

q) How long does it take to complete a piece?

a)Depends ya know? Some of the best pieces happen fast.

q) Who are your favorite artists…and who are some artists you are currently looking/listening to?

a)Jim Lambie, Keith Boadwee, Trenton Doyle Hancock, Sam de la Rosa, Tal R, Jimmie Durham, I like to read Agnes Martins writings, Jonathan Meese, Lucas Samaras, Pablo Picasso, Cy Twombly, Paul SimonThe Jimmy Buffett Exxxperience.


q) Are you represented by a gallery? Do you have any upcoming exhibits?

a)I am represented by Art Palace Gallery in Austin, TX. I currently have a show up called "Lasers in the Jungle" www.artpalacegallery.com. I am also represented in Houston, TX by Poissant Gallery.

q) Do you have any 'studio rituals'? As in, do you listen to certain types of music while working? What helps to get you in the mood for working?

a)Always music

q) What is your favorite a) taste, b) sound, c) sight, d) smell, and e) tactile sensation?

a)
a. Alfredo
b. ocean.
c. bass.
d. money.
e. female parts

q) Do you have goals that you are trying to reach as an artist, what is your 'drive'? What would you like to accomplish in your 'profession'?

a)I want to quit working crappy jobs

q) When have you started using the internet and what role does this form of communication play for you, personally, for your art, and for your business?

a)It helps
q) What do you obsess over?

a)Lost love

q) Do you have prefered working hours? Do you pay attention to the time of the day or maybe specific lighting?

a)Anytime I can

q) Do you do commissioned works?

a)Sure

q) Any tips for emerging artists?

a)Be strong

q)…Your contacts

a)
http://www.ericgibbons.com/


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home