Google

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Interview with Sam Glynn

q) Well, first of all please tell us a little about yourself.

a)My name is Sam Glynn, I’m 22 years old. I am from London, England and I studied BA Illustration at The Arts Institute At Bournemouth in the sunny south of England. I like drawing, music, friends and good banter.


q)How would you describe your work?


a)I would say my work is a colourful messy mix of the hand made and the digital.


q) Did somebody encourage you to become an artist?

a)I’ve always loved drawing from a young age, from drawing my favourite cartoon characters as a child and drawing band logos all over my school books as a teenager. My parents were always supportive towards me pursuing art and illustration as long as I was doing what I enjoyed.

q) What is your favourite medium?

a)I use all sorts of mediums to create my work, pens, pencils, paint rollers, ink, spray paint and photography. All of these are scanned in and I decide on colour and composition using Photoshop. I don’t think I have a favoured medium, any thing that makes interesting marks on the page.


q) Can you describe your process, from the seed of an idea to a complete work?

a)I always start in my sketch book, whether this is drawing preliminary sketches or just getting straight into a project is dependant on the type of work I’m doing. As I utilise a computer for all of my work, I can be very flexible in the way I do things. I can always change parts of pieces and add new elements until I am happy with it. My work is highly layered and textured; the process can sometimes go in reverse as I deconstruct my images to create the desired look.

q) Generally speaking, where do your ideas come from?

a)My ideas come from everywhere, mainly modern pop culture. I also get ideas and inspiration from childhood nostalgia, friends, London, music and British comedy. But I could list things for ages.

q) How long does it take to complete a piece?


a)I work very quickly. I usually have a definite vision of how I want an image to look, and I know how I’m going to do it. Using a computer also speeds the process up as you can make as many changes and mistakes as you want. Computers can also slow the process as sometimes they can be to flexible which makes it difficult to make decisions such as colour and composition.


q) Who are your favourite artists…and who are some artists you are currently looking/listening to?

a)I like to keep up to date with who is doing what in illustration; it’s had a huge revival over the past few years. I’m constantly checking out new stuff on design portals and websites.
My current favourites are Michael Gillette, National Forest and the rest of the US west coast scene. England has an amazing illustration scene as well, I love the work of Tim Marrs, David Foldvari and Paul Willoughby.
I also love the work of my friends Luke James, Lucy Oldfield, Emily Twomey, Heather Gatley and David Callow.
I’m currently listening to Justice, Sinden, Dizzee Rascal, Herve, Digitalism, Hadouken!, Shy Child, MSTRKRFT and Late Of The Pier


q) Are you represented by a gallery? Do you have any upcoming exhibits?


a)I’m not represented by a gallery. I think my type of illustration is rarely represented by galleries and is usally given representation by an illustration agency. I don’t have any upcoming exhibits, I would like to have some sort of solo show next year.


q) Do you have any 'studio rituals'? As in, do you listen to certain types of music while working? What helps to get you in the mood for working?


a)I don’t think I have any studio rituals. I used to tidy whatever room I was in before I started working, but I think that was when I didn’t have any ideas. I’m always listening to music so that is constantly on while I work, any genre, I have very eclectic tastes.

q) What is your favourite a) taste, b) sound, c) sight, d) smell, and e) tactile sensation?


a)
A) BLT sandwich
B) The sound of a drinks can opening
C) When the lights go down at the beginning of a gig/club
D) BBQ
E) plasticine


q) Do you have goals that you are trying to reach as an artist, what is your 'drive'? What would you like to accomplish in your 'profession'?


a)I want people to like my work; I want to be able to make a living as an illustrator. I would like to have an instantly recognisable style, but one that is constantly changing and evolving. I’m also into motion graphics and animation, and would like to expand within that field too.

q) When have you started using the internet and what role does this form of communication play for you, personally, for your art, and for your business?

a)I have always used the internet to keep up to date with what my peers and contemporaries are doing. I have only recently got myself a website, but I’d say this is got to be the most important part of what I do. This is your window to show the world your work. Every commission I have done to date is through communicating on the internet.


q) What do you obsess over?


a)Design, loud music and trainers.


q) Do you have preferred working hours? Do you pay attention to the time of the day or maybe specific lighting?


a)When I’m just doing just freelance work I’ll nearly always be nocturnal. I’d wake up around noon and then work until about 4am. But anytime suits me, whenever I happen to be feeling inspired.


q) Do you do commissioned works?


a)Yes, this is where most of my current work is coming from. I don’t really consider my work as ‘art’ in the traditional sense. It’s more based within a commercial world, I freelance for magazines, record labels, club nights and gigs.


q) Any tips for emerging artists?

a)Work hard, get your name and your work known by as many people as possible. Never get comfy in what you do, always be looking to improve your work.


q)…Your contacts

a)email: sam-glynn@hotmail.com
website: www.samglynn.co.uk
blog: www.samglyn.blogspot.com



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home