Google

Monday, September 24, 2007

Interview with Sandra Scolnik

q) Well, first of all please tell us a little about yourself.

a)I am a 41 year old painter, originally from New York City, I have a 4year old boy and a 10 month old daughter. I moved to France 2 years ago with my family

q)How would you describe your work?

a)Figurative paintings, oil on wood panels, diaristic/narratives, self portraits, lots of details

q) Did somebody encourage you to become an artist?

a)Since I was a little kid I knew I was an artist…I don’t think I ever “became” and artist, I was always an artist

q) What is your favorite medium?

a)I always use oil paint

q) Can you describe your process, from the seed of an idea to a complete work?

a)I start to “see” a painting in my head, I do a few loose sketches then I start painting as soon as I can. I make a lot of mistakes and have to figure out how to make my those work. I should probably do more drawings first, but I am impatient, this has become an important part of my process over the years and I like not knowing what a painting is going to look like until it is finished. Sometimes I overwork a painting, I have to force myself to stop.

q) Generally speaking, where do your ideas come from?

a)From life, I try to make the narratives as vague as I can so that the viewer can project a story onto my paintings. I think the themes of my work are universal, family, relationships, birth, death, etc..

q) How long does it take to complete a piece?

a)It depends on the size of course, It used to take me months/years but I am a lot faster now and I can usually complete a small painting in a month. A larger painting can take up to 6 months

q) Who are your favorite artists…and who are some artists you are currently looking/listening to?

a)My favorite artists are Dawn Clements, Angela Dufresne, Amy Sillman, My “favorite” is always changing

q) Are you represented by a gallery? Do you have any upcoming exhibits?

a)CRG Gallery, I don’t have anything scheduled

q) Do you have any 'studio rituals'? As in, do you listen to certain types of music while working? What helps to get you in the mood for working?

a)I listen to a lot of podcasts, the news in English and different talk shows, cooking shows or books on tape.

q) What is your favorite a) taste, b) sound, c) sight, d) smell, and e) tactile sensation?

a)Well, hmm, I think this is always changing. I love the smell of coffee in the morning. I am looking forward to winter and having fires in our fireplace.

q) Do you have goals that you are trying to reach as an artist, what is your 'drive'? What would you like to accomplish in your 'profession'?

a)My goal has always been to find more fluid connection between my paintings and my thoughts, to more confident and creative (courageous maybe?) in my mark making and imagery.

q) When have you started using the internet and what role does this form of communication play for you, personally, for your art, and for your business?

a)I live in a very rural part of France and I don’t get to see many art exhibits so I am always looking at art on the internet, it’s not the best way to look at art but I love it (it’s better than nothing!!) I can keep up with what is going on in the “art world”. I just recently made a website of my paintings and that was an interesting exercise.

q) What do you obsess over?

a)Time

q) Do you have prefered working hours? Do you pay attention to the time of the day or maybe specific lighting?

a) I can only work when my children are at daycare, so I paint from 9-4 everyday

q) Do you do commissioned works?

a)No
q) Any tips for emerging artists?

a) I think the best advice would be to work as hard as you can, work everyday, even if it is only for 2 hours.

q)…Your contacts..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home