Google

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Interview with Anne van der Linden

q)What is your name?

a)My name is Anne van der Linden

q) Where do you live and work?

a)I live and work in Saint-Denis, suburb of Paris, France

q)What is your creative process like?

a)When boredom and anxiety are strong, I try to find a survival strategy, which usualy takes the shape of a choreography:I explore visualy all the strange meanings by which individuals interact, may it be love, hate, cannibalism or incoherent reasons In those visions the bodies become the mannequin of bizarre metaphors, can be distorted, opened, modified as much as needed.Usualy I search ideas with drawing and then I develop to painting on that basis.

q)What is your favorite medium?

a)I like the smoothness of oil painting

q)What is your current favorite subject?

a)Swallowing-defecating is one of them

q)How long does it take for you to finish a piece?

a)I am slow, it can take weeks (also because the oil painting dries slowly)

q)What has been your biggest accomplishment so far?

a)Maybe I lie a little less than I used to, not sure though

q)Are there any contemporary artists that you love?Philip Guston, Sue Coe, Robert Crumb, Costes, Allemane, Angelo, Ernest T, Féebrile, part of Kiki Picasso


q)Can we buy your art anywhere?

a)You can buy my art in galleries (I am at the Galerie les Singuliers in Paris), at my studio, on my website (http://heavyshop.free.fr/) and sometimes in auctions

q)Anything that people should know about that we don't??

a)I am NOT an erotic painter

q)What is your best piece of advice for those who would like to rise in their level of artistry?

a)Bon courage and trust nobody

q)What inspires you to keep going when the work gets frustrating or tough?

a)Painting is sort of an addiction, a bad habit, and when things become difficult, I take a rest and then go back to it

q)How do you describe your work to those who are unfamiliar with it?

a)Figurative, tough, obscene and dreamy


q)What kind of training did you have which helped you achieve your current level of artistry?

a)I did 2 years at the Beaux-arts school of Paris, which did not help me much, except that it showed me what I did not want to do, a comfortable pre-programmed art

q)Is there a tool or material that you can't imagine living without?

a)My tooth brush


q)Who are your influences?

a)Medieval art, poetry, mythologies, religion, body functions and the sight of this trash world

q)What inspires you to create?

a)Death
q)…your contacts…

a) http://heavyshop.free.fr/


http://www.myspace.com/annevanderlinden


anne.vander-linden@orange.fr

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home