Google

Monday, February 25, 2008

Interview with Robert Nicol




q) Well, first of all please tell us a little about yourself.

a)I was born in Dundee, Scotland, in 1980. My Mother is from Winsford, Cheshire, and my Father is from Peterhead, Scotland. I began my creative life studying painting at the Glasgow School of Art, and then moved south to the Communication Art and Design course at the Royal College, London.While I draw and paint I like to think about anxiety, fear, boredom, time, understanding, happiness, love, the weather and generally try to make sense of life.

q) Had you always planned on being an artist [or had you other hopes]?
a)When I was younger I wanted to fly planes.
q) Do you have a preferred medium to work on? Why?
a)Pen and ink, acrylic paint. They are the best suited to my way of working.
q) How would you describe your style?

a)If I had to describe my style I would use words like, simple, abrasive, intimate, humorous, paranoid.

q) Do you go through any certain processes while trying to produce your work?
a)I spend a lot of time on the internet looking for source images to work from in my sketch book, then final drawings and paintings are created from the roughs in my sketchbook.
q) What are you working on at present?

a)I am just starting a commission for the Fulham Palace gallery in London.

q) What about recent sources of inspirations?

a)The work of James Niehues, Joel Tettamanti, and Pieter Hugo. The writing of Russell Hoban.
q) What are some of your obsessions?
a)Computer games, bicycles, plants, sweets

q) Which galleries have you shown at and which galleries would you like to show at?
a)I have shown work in the Barbican, London. An ideal place to show my work would be Modern Art also in London.
q) If people would like to contact you, how would you like to be contacted?


q) Do you have any suggestions or advice for artists that are just starting out?

a)Have faith in your work and your abilities.

q) Who are your favorite artists?

a)Thomas Demand, Philip Guston

q) What books are on your nightstand?

a)John Fanta, Will Self, Bruce Chatwin, Jon Krakauer,
q) To what weaknesses are you most indulgent?
a)Drinking. TV
q)….your contacts…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home