Google

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Interview with Okimi





q)Please introduce yourself.


a)My name is Kimiaki Yaegashi aka Okimi. Graphic designer and illustrator.


q)Where do you live and work?


a)Tokyo,Japan


q)How would you describe your work to someone who has never seen it?


a) My expression keeps always changing like the amoeba. However,it is sure to contain the humour.


q)How did you start in the arts? How/when did you realize you were an artist?


a)In my childhood, my cousin scribbled Japanese animation “Mobile Suit Gundam” on the notebook. It was very beautiful, and stimulated me. The event made me advance to the art.


q)What are your favorite art materials and why?


a)Because the real trash is not generated,I mainly use the computer. However, I love analogues.


q)What/who influences you most?


a)Everything related to me.


q)Describe a typical day of art making for you.


a)It's irregular, I don't understand.


q)Do you have goals, specific things you want to achieve with your art or in your career as an artist?


a)I don't have a special aim.


q)What contemporary artists or developments in art interest you?


a)Pop art and the illustration.


q)How long does it typically take you to finish a piece?


a)About half a day.


q)Do you enjoy selling your pieces, or are you emotionally attached to them?


a)I'm not selling my works. I distinguish my works and the illustration for the business.


q)Is music important to you? If so, what are some things you're listening to now?


a)Of course. I'm listening 70's Stevie Wonder now.


q)Books?


a)I especially like comics of Osamu Tezuka who is called god of comic.


q)What theories or beliefs do you have regarding creativity or the creative process?


a)Most important is "happy".


q)What do you do (or what do you enjoy doing) when you're not creating?


a)Watching TV,listening music,meeting friends,sleeping and more!


q)Do you have any projects or shows coming up that you are particularly excited about?


a)It's the collaboration with Alex Smith who is my friend and great animator. http://www.alegsmeeth.com


q)Do you follow contemporary art scenes? If so, how? What websites, magazines, galleries do you prefer?


a)I'm interested in my daily life than contemporary art. The act of drawing the picture is a part of my life.


q)Ask yourself a question you'd like to answer, and answer it.


a)Who are you?/I don't know now!


q)Any advice for aspiring artists?


a)Keep making!


q)Where can we see more of your work online?


a)My website. http://www.okimi.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home