Google

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Interview with Abner Preis

q)What is your name?

a)Abner

q) Where do you live and work?

a)I live in Rotterdam, Netherlands which is a great CITY. But I also have been working in Croatia, Israel (not on the wall),Spain, Italy and Amsterdam. I have been super lucky this summer... Well pretty lucky

q)What is your creative process like?

a)I'm super “goal” oriented. SO If I have an idea- ill think of making a “goal”---something like 30 drawings, 9 videos, ten drawings with pen, shit that keeps me going on the same thing... im obsessive compulsive- but not in any way I can speak about. So having a goal keeps me focused. You know what I mean?

q)What is your favorite medium?

a)I have been making allot of installations and videos, and of course DRAWINGS. ( if I ever thought that I liked to draw six years ago—I would of said no fucking way- I tried to be more of a painter not a drawer)

q)What is your current favorite subject?

a)Currently I am working on a children’s book.

q)How long does it take for you to finish a piece?

a) I never feel that I have completed a piece- unless I have killed it. Which... god knows, I have killed thousands.
I think that the in-completion of a piece leave it to the imagination to think of an ending. Kind of like forcing the viewer to make a choice.


q)What has been your biggest accomplishment so far?

a)This interview

q)Are there any contemporary artists that you love?

a)All my friends

q)Can we buy your art anywhere?

a)- yes, you can!

q)Anything that people should know about that we don’t??

a)I think that the smell of a person a very important. I don't know why- but I just am starting to think about that.

q)What is your best piece of advice for those who would like to rise in their level of artistry?

a)Don't lie!

q)What inspires you to keep going when the work gets frustrating or tough?

a)HUMMM?

q)How do you describe your work to those who are unfamiliar with it?

a)I would say its about story telling and material. Water color tells a great story, just as garbage tells a great story. Both these materials can be used to tell different stories. My work is about making story's come true- and the materials which allows me to do that.


q)What kind of training did you have which helped you achieve your current level of artistry?

a)I graduated form Tyler School of Fine ARTS. Philadelphia- which allowed me to live in Rome and study for a year- I also got allot of art history classes (even though I didn't want them) and so this education helped me alot. I also travel as much as I can- I went to Mexico and studied murals and masks- that's what really turned me on to Story telling.

q)Is there a tool or material that you can’t imagine living without?

a)A sweet smelling lady
Whiskey
Music

q)Who are your influences?

a)Mohamed Ali and my grandfather

q)What inspires you to create?

a)God gave me a gift!!!! AMEN AMEN AMEN


q)…your contact…

a)I’m working on a new web site but my flicker account is the most current- I’m on it quite a bit- actually every time I finish something near a computer and camera.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20642144@N00/

video
http://www.youtube.com/abnergarson

website
http://abnerpreis.com/

email
abnerpreis@yahoo.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home