Google

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Interview with Wil Cohen

q) Well, first of all please tell us a little about yourself.

a) My name is Wil Cohen and I’m a photographer from Los Angeles, CA. My work focuses on portrait and fashion at the moment. My work Blends elements of fashion and fine-art photography. B&W, color, and toned images are used to create different moods & emotions. I have been involved with photography ever since I was little. However, I did not become serious about until a few years ago when my band was breaking up. I was looking for something creative that would just depend on me. It started building from there.

q) How would you describe your work?

a)Hmmm…I’m not that best with this one. But the aim is for the pictures to be cinematic. I would have to say that I like my pictures to look like snippets from a movie. My style is always evolving but this has always remained a goal for me.

q) Did somebody encourage you to become an artist?

a)My parents were always encouraging to me while growing up. They bought my instruments and took me to lessons. We would visit museums etc. while on vacations. My wife is also a big source of support in many different ways.

q) What is your favorite medium?

a) Photography. Both traditional & digital.

q) Can you describe your process, from the seed of an idea to a complete work?

a)It varies, but sometimes I’m contacted by a client etc. but often I just brainstorm or something just comes to me. In that case I’ll call up the model and tell her about the shoot. However my shoots are pretty loose and evolve as we go along. Originally it started that way because I’d be disappointed if I had planned something to the letter and it didn’t turn out exactly that way. Often it’s just me and a model driving around until I find the right spot.
From there I go home load all the pictures organize them and just stare at them for a bit. Once I decide on the mood of pictures I just help further refine them that way using photoshop or something. As I get better I’m relying on this less and less which is a good thing.

q) Generally speaking, where do your ideas come from?

a)Movies, Music, Magazines, Videos etc. all influence me to a degree but hopefully at the end of the day I’m creating something my own. I do enjoying looking at other photographers work but I purposely do not study them just for that reason. I’m much more likely to be influenced by a scene in a thriller and trying to add some of that in my pictures. It can be a challenge to get that emotion from some models.

q) How long does it take to complete a piece?

a) Depends but on average I guess around a couple of weeks or so depending on how many touchups are required. Models can get annoyed sometimes with me for that but they are pretty happy with the outcome.

q) Who are your favorite artists…and who are some artists you are currently looking/listening to?

a)Here are just a few that I’ve been peeking at lately. All have something that I admire about their style and how they go about achieving it.
http://www.patrickhoelck.com /
http://chasejarvis.com

Bands that I’m listening to now:
Autolux / Mogwai / Air Formation / Film School / M83 / Silversun Pickups /
q) Are you represented by a gallery? Do you have any upcoming exhibits?

a)I’m seeking representation currently. No exhibitions planned as of now but check my website for updates. Some of my work can be purchased at http://www.sexyartgallery.com or at my website directly.

q) Do you have any 'studio rituals'? As in, do you listen to certain types of music while working? What helps to get you in the mood for working?

a)I basically do not work on my pictures without my itunes running. Shoegaze music is always a staple. Dimming the lights and having some candles burning works too. Same as when I work on my music.

q) What is your favorite a) taste, b) sound, c) sight, d) smell, and e) tactile sensation?

a)
a. Chocolate Noir gelato in Florence b. Disintegration Album for the first time 1989 c. Seeing Melissa in her car before practice d. The Beach e. Baby kicking.

q) Do you have goals that you are trying to reach as an artist, what is your 'drive'? What would you like to accomplish in your 'profession'?

a)I would like to get my work featured in more visible publications. I would also like to try my hand at celebrity work. I think it would be challenging but fun as well.

q) When have you started using the internet and what role does this form of communication play for you, personally, for your art, and for your business?

a) It is a tool for me to reach people. Whether it be clients or casting for a shoot. It is an important daily ritual for me but I try not to be on longer than I need to be because it means I’m not working on my pictures.

q) What do you obsess over?

a)Everything, including my photography. It takes me ages to work on projects. Hence why very little of it ever sees the light of day.

q) Do you have preferred working hours? Do you pay attention to the time of the day or maybe specific lighting?

a)Afternoons for shoots / night time for computer work.

q) Do you do commissioned works?

a)Yep.

q) Any tips for emerging artists?

a)Not really, I’m still seeking them myself. Beware of know-it-alls.

q)…Your contacts

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home