Google

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Interview with Daniel Anthony St. George 2nd

q) Introduce yourself first please?

a) My name is Daniel Anthony St. George 2nd, I livein New York City working as an artist. I grew up in an air force family and had to move every few years. My father was married over three times and I have an array of siblings ranging from a sister, to step siblings and halves. I was the black sheep of the family - bad at school, bad at life, just utterly bad- the only thing I had was my art. My art issemi-autobiographical, somewhat of an abstract narrative about how I feel, what I think and the life that I am living and have lived. I love life, even when it throws me lemons.
q) How did you get into art?
a) Through my father, Daniel Anthony St. George Sr. I guess you could say genetics? His mother tried to get him to become an illustrator when he was young,however he got my mother Donna Keller pregnant at 20-- so he joined the air force to support his new family and gave up his natural talent for art but it was passed along to me, along with his name. Maybe it was fated to happen?
q) Who has been the biggest influence on you?

a) I wish I could give you a name -- but my art isn't really influenced by one person but people. My work is about relationships and my daily life and people have a great effect on that. My father has helped a lot in making me the man I am today but not sure if that is necessarily a good thing. Also, all the women I have dated and all the artists I've been lucky to have met and befriended. The world is always expanding and meeting new people is a constant influence.

q) Do you rule by any tendency in your creative work,or you only follow what comes in your mind?

a) I think we all are ruled by things. I think the sun controls our life so much. Our relation to it in the universe to me is an amazing thing - I'm ruled by this as well as other things. I think a lot about art before and after but not while doing it. I think it is similar to how men think about sex all day but not while doing it. I like to have all my tools at arm's reach so I can just paint away, sometimes it feels so good and other times bad - making art, mind you, notsex.

q) Do you have a preferred medium to work on? Why?

a) I like ink and paper -- I like the way it goes onto the paper with brush or with pen, smooth and soft.And it makes me smile. Sometimes I do use enamel because of how thick it is, like condensed milk, makes me want to eat it but that would lead to death or horrible sickness.

q) How much does your environment have an effect on your pictures?

a) I'm a "moody" painter, I can only paint if I'm in the mood and my environment definitely changes how things are done, even if I'm painting in bed, at my desk or against the wall. My work even changes in nature, as it gets larger everything affects it.

q) Tell us about your studio space. Where do you work? Do you listen to certain types of music while working?

a) My studio is in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, currently.The walls are covered in stapled pieces of papers,scraps and things I find in the streets. The color scheme is mostly yellow, pink and tans. A shelf sits high above it all with little pears that I drew faces on back in 2003. The work desk is a long folding table covered in art supplies and paper. I listen to all kinds of music from jazz, indie rock or dance music,all depending on my mood that day.

q) Who are your favorite artists?

a) All the artists I like, I've been lucky enough to call my friends - like Brent Wadden, Evah Fan, Grant Barnhart, and Jeremiah Maddock just to name a few.They all challenge what art is and what being an artist is everyday. To me, these people are better than any Picasso or Warhol.

q) When have you started using the internet and what role does this form of communication play for you,personally, for your art, and for your business?

a) 1996 or 1997, I had my own website on Geocities when I was still in high school. I look at the internet as a good and bad thing - like TV.

q) What books are on your nightstand?

a)I'm right by my nightstand right now and I'm seeing Donny Miller's Beautiful People with Beautiful Feelings, PS1's Great New York and Think Like Amano.

q) What's playing on your stereo?

a) Right now, Azure Ray. Lately, it has been Final Fantasy (the band).

q) Any interesting "rituals" before you start creating?

a) A Cup of tea then paint, nap, tea, paint, nap and repeat until tired or watch some TV.

q) What is your favorite colour?

a) As a child, it was red. In my art, I'd say it isyellow and in my clothing it is black.

q) What is the best time in the day for you to work on a project?Is there one, or is it more about the environment --maybe the right mood?
a) I'd say mostly in the mornings after getting up.

q) What projects mean a lot to you at the moment?

a) Just painting, nothing else. I don't make toys or anything else. Maybe I'll start a new zine book next year but for right now it is just painting. Winter seems like hibernating period.

q) Your contacts.

a) http://www.danielstgeorge.com- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Daniel Anthony St. George 2nd

p: +1-212-203-1412

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home