Google

Thursday, November 1, 2007

Interview with Katy Horan

q) When did you start to make art?

a)I've been drawing since before I can even remember. It was just a natural thing for me, so I guess the answer is always. I remember losing myself in drawing when I was very young. I always felt like anything was possible when I drew...like I could create my own world.

q)Explain your inspiration?

a)It's pretty random really. It could be a song or a patterned fabric I see on the street. The big ones right now are folk and outsider art, bluegrass music, folklore and mythology and storybook illustration. There are a million others, but those re pretty important.

q) In what way does your inspiration transform into ideas?

a)It's pretty subconscious. I will see or hear something that I like and it will sit in the back of my mind until it is ready to be used. It all kind of get's mushed together when it comes out, so it's hard to pinpoint the origin of an idea.

q) Could your ideas be portrayed in any other medium? If so which?

a)I'd like to think so. The artists I really admire are able to work in various media while maintaining a cohesive vision. I struggle with keeping my focus with one medium because I am interested in so many. I would love to make animations, theater sets or puppets. It would be great to see my imagery come to life. I am beginning to incorporate book making into my work, which I really love.

q) What does being an artists mean to you?

a)Not sure what it means except that it's what I feel I am meant to do (as cheesy as that sounds). It's sort of a natural state of being and seeing.

q) When does your art become successful?

a)Not sure. I think a lot of us are never satisfied with our work. That's what keeps us going for our entire lives. So maybe we never feel "successful". If I were to attempt to define "success" I'd say it's when galleries and buyers want you to make whatever you want to make…When you're trusted completely to do your thing.

q) Who prices your work? And how is the price decided upon?

a)I do. I just think about the general price range of the gallery, the size of the piece and how long it took me to make it. In the end though, I usually ask myself, how much would someone actually pay for this thing?

q) What is your next; move,project,show etc?

a)I am in a group show at White Walls gallery in San Francisco in Dec. That's what I'm working on now.


q) What are the pros and cons of the art market?


a)I still feel that I am new to the market. There are so many levels and I am at the bottom, so I don't really know anything about it yet. I guess that some people can make a really good living with their work (that's a pro), but most artists hardly make any money (that's a con).

q) Which pieces would you like to be remembered for?

a)I don't think I've made them yet

q) Who has been the biggest influence on you?

a)My grandfather who was a pleantologist and artist taught me the importance of storytelling, history and mythology. My Step grandmother taught me about Frida Kahlo and what it means to be a woman who makes art. As far as artists go Ralph Steadman has been a huge influence on me since I was a teenager.

q)Other visual artists that you like…

a)There are a lot, but right now I am into Clare Rojas, Jeana Sohn, Amy Cutler, Marcel Dzama, Richard Coleman, Evan B Harris, Kathleen Lolley, Camille Rose Garcia, Chris Duncan, Hanna Liden, Alex Lukas, Xander Marro, Michaela O' Herlihy, Merrilee Challis, Kelly Lynn Jones and on and on and on…. I think there's some amazing narrative work being made these days and I am really excited by it! There are some old guys that I love though like Joseph Cornell and Henry Darger.

q) How much do you think hype affects the public perception of what good art is?

a)Good question. I want to say way too much especially in the more established markets like in NY. The more emerging art scenes in San Francisco, LA, Portland etc are more open minded and interested in fresh talent and that is very reaffirming.

q) Last CD you downloaded ?a)I think it was an audiobook…Toni Morrison. I really like audiobooks.

q) What makes you happy?

a)Stories, dogs, food
q) What makes you sad?

a)The news

q) Last book you read?

a)The Road by Cormac Mcarthy…the most beautiful, sad, disturbing and moving book ever.

q) What else do like other than art?

a)I really like to bake and crochet.

q) Final thoughts...

a)Interview questions are harder to answer than you'd think.

q)Your contacts…


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home