Google

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Interview with Serge Kliaving

q) When did you start to make art?

a)Around 1986. My first show was in 1987

q)Explain your inspiration?

a)I was first interested in social and political issues that I interpreted through pop images and photomontages. I am not dealing with that any more. For the last 10 years my work was and is inspired by my travelings and is a sort of travel sketch book.

q) In what way does your inspiration transform into ideas?

a)It doesn't . It transforms into paintings. Ideas are for viewers.

q) Could your ideas be portrayed in any other medium? If so which?

a)I am a painter and I love to paint. I'm not looking to express myself in any other ways.

q) What does being an artists mean to you?

a)It means everything. I consider it to be a vocation.

q) When does your art become successful?

a)When I can say: "this piece is not too bad". Then when a galerist says:" I like it, let's make a show". Then when somebody else says: "I want to buy it". It doesn't need to be a large public success.

q) Who prices your work? And how is the price decided upon?

a)Me and my galerists together.
q) What is your next; move,project,show etc?

a)Next show: in december at my galery in Paris. Next move: another travel, probably.
q) What are the pros and cons of the art market?

a)No comments. Not interested.

q) Which pieces would you like to be remembered for?

a)Mostly my black and white drawings of landscapes. Yet, the best one is still to be donne.

q) Who has been the biggest influence on you?

a)They are too many to name only one.

q)Other visual artists that you like…

a)Among many others: Munch, Rouault, Kieffer, Tarkovsky,.....

q) How much do you think hype affects the public perception of what good art is?

a)Nowadays, hype seems to be the one criteria. Hype is fun and audience wants fun. It's rather like going to Disneyland. But nobody knows if it's any good.

q) Last CD you downloaded ?

a)I don't own a computer so I don't download any CD

q) What makes you happy?

a)A good day's work

q) What makes you sad?

a)A bad day's work

q) Last book you read?

a)Terra Nostra, by Carlos Fuentes

q) What else do like other than art?

a)Nothing but music, literature, movies and travels.

q) Final thoughts...

a)I am not ready yet for final thoughts

q)Your contacts…

a)Serge Kliaving.
tel: +33-1-48-28-42-85
or at my brother's e-mail:
michel.kliaving@bluewin.ch

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home