Google

Monday, January 14, 2008

Interview with Serge Seidlitz

q)Name?

a)Serge Seidlitz

q)Location?

a)London

q)Contact info?

a)For commissions - info@debutart.com

q)How did you get started making art?

a) I always drew when I was a kid and always got in trouble at school for not paying attention and just doodling in my exercise books. I remember even at prep school making comics and drawing fake newspaper covers. Later, I made a comic called ‘spliff’ with my friend Ed when we were about 15, it was kind of like Viz and was all about the teachers and people in our school. We got in trouble for that and had to censor it, we changed the name to ‘the sensible comic’, Ed’s now a childrens Tv presenter which is quite funny. Art school seemed like a good place for me to go, and I didn’t really have any other option as I was not interested in going to university and studying something for the sake of it.

q)How would you describe your art?

a)I would currently describe myself as a commercial illustrator, so maybe something like ‘contemporary illustration’.
q)Where do you get the inspiration for your art?

a)I look at other artists work, film posters, rock posters, surfing the net, comics, record covers, magazine, book covers, in my head. I like to cut things out of newspapers and magazines, I keep folders of reference.
q)What other artists inspire you?

a) I was a bit of a skater and had a santa cruz deck, my girlfriend just bought me an original signed-to-me Jim Philips ‘screaming hand’, which is very cool! I used to read Mad magazine compulsively and trade garbage pail kids stickers. There are so many artists that are around at the moment that are cool and I’m inspired by. There’s been a big renaissance in illustration. With my own work I like to look at other stuff as inspiration but think it’s important to stay original, I think art, whether it's music, illustration, or whatever is much more meaningful if it’s personal and has something of the artist soul in. That sounds a bit wanky, but I mean I hate seeing stuff that is just a generic treatment or a fashionable design trend. It’s easy to find the latest trend and just apply it to you work blah blah rant rant.


q)Where can someone purchase your works?

a) I’ve got some screen prints for sale in an east London gallery called Nelly duff (http://www.nellyduff.com/)

q)What is your main medium of choice?

a)Pen and mac

q)What are you working on now?

a) Right now I’m working on an advertising campaign for top secret client and a series of board games for a Channel Four book, I’m also doing some portraits for a UEFA Football project.

q)What advice could you give to someone who wants to be an artist?

a)Be original and a bit obsessive, possibly even a bit autistic.


q) What are you doing when you are not creating art?

a)This summer im renting a van a bit like the one in Scooby doo and going ghost hunting with my girlfriend. One of the places we’re visiting is a haunted insane asylum which was built on a druid burial ground.

q) What does music, in its entirety, mean to you?

a) Wow. I’m not sure how to answer this question to be honest, my piano teacher at school to told me to give up and take up an instrument which only used one hand, because I was so musically uncoordinated, but I wonder now if she meant something else! I played bass guitar in a band for one night, I think I was on the stage for about six hours (at least it was light outside by the time I looked up from strumming), I thought I was pretty pretty good, but im told otherwise.

q) What does art, in it' entirety, mean to you?

a) Also, a hard question - I like colouring in books and pictures of dinosaurs.


q) Are there some web sites that You would like to recomend? Artists, art communities, xxx,...!?

a)I used to visit pixelsurgeon.com religiously every day and since its closet down there is a big hole in my morning routine, so if anyone can recommend a replacement ?I like little chimp thingy page and illustrationmundo



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home