Google

Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Interview with Tonya Solley Thornton

q)Name?

a)Tonya Solley Thornton

q)Location?

a) I recently moved to Asheville, North Carolina, before that I lived in the San Francisco Bay Area for 9 years.

q)Contact info.?


q)How did you get started making art?

a) In college I started working towards an art education degree, but I got so involved in my art classes that I fell in love and decided to get my BFA in art instead.

q)How would you describe your art?

a) That is such a difficult question, I am always hoping that my work will answer it for me.

q)Where do you get the inspiration for your art?

a) I am very inspired by amusement parks, Busby Berkeley movies, parades, thrift stores, and any other strange wonders of American culture.
q)What other artists inspire you?

a)Mary Blair, Andrea Loefke, Suzanne Husky, Carsten Holler,Jovi Schnell these are just a few.

q)Where can someone purchase your works?

a) I am having a show in April at The Fleetwing Gallery in Lambertville, NJ,you could also contact me through my website.

q)What is your main medium of choice?

a) I love using a wide variety of materials in my sculptures - plastic flowers, fabric, found items, mechanical dolls, beads, glitter... anything that appeals to me.

q)What are you working on now?

a) I am working on some smaller works for this show coming up in April. Most of the work I've done has been installation-based, but I am trying to work on smaller scale sculptures that have an interaction with each other.

q)What advice could you give to someone who wants tobe an artist?

a) I used to think you had to be a natural at drawing in order to be an artist, but I have discovered that if you just have a creative nature you can do anything you want.

q) What are you doing when you are not creating art?

a) I love going to thrift stores to gather new materials to use, and I like toget my craft on, which works as a creative exercise to get me geared upto work on my art again. I also love watching old movies, especially musicals.

q) What does music, in its entirety, mean to you?

a) You would have to ask my husband trevor aka kittinfishmountain. He is the music in my life.
q) What does art, in its entirety, mean to you?

a) I think art is all around us, and each person takes in what they have an affinity for. For me, that's anything that stimulates my sense of wonder.

q) Are there some web sites that You would like to recomend? Artists, art communities, xxx,...!?





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home