Google

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Interview with Andrew Loughnane

q)What is your name?

a)Andrew Loughnane

q) Where do you live and work?

a)Chicago, Illinois.

q)What is your creative process like?

a)Well, my work is mostly based on everyday life, so the process is varied. I’d say that it’s mostly developed and derived from the inspiration that one can find in the poetry and beauty of quotidian experience. The singer from the punk band JFK once summed it up best in a skateboard video I once saw as a teenager: Live, just live.

q) What is your favorite medium?

a)I like them all and am willing to do whatever it takes to bring an idea or a feeling into fruition.

q)What is your current favorite subject?

a)The woman I love. Without a doubt, she is my favorite subject!

q)How long does it take for you to finish a piece?

a)Anywhere from 30 seconds to three months to three years, depending on what I’m working on.


q)What has been your biggest accomplishment so far?

a)Survival.
q)Are there any contemporary artists that you love?
a)There are countless contemporary artists that inspire the hell out of me, though my heart lies in figurative marble sculpture. Funny, yet true.

q)Can we buy your art anywhere?

a)I hope to have a work for sale at an apartment gallery called 65 Grand here in Chicago this summer. If anybody can move that Braille piece, Bill Gross can! Apart from that, some of the works on my website are still around, unless they’re noted as part of a collection or have been destroyed. It never hurts to ask, provided anyone is actually interested in that sort of thing. I’m thinking that most of my work isn’t exactly marketable though, which is why I’m still working a day job.

q) Anything that people should know about that we don’t??

a)Of course. There are tons of things that I should know about too, but don’t. Tell me what I should know about first, so I can feel nice and stupid first. Then we’ll start a little dialogue and sort things out as need be.

q)What is your best piece of advice for those who would like to rise in their level of artistry?

a)Quit now! No, seriously, just keep at it and never give up. Easier said than done, this I know for sure. Just keep at it and believe in what you’re doing. Sometimes it seems like none of us are meant to be doing what we’re doing. This feeling will unfortunately and inevidably ebb and flow in all of our lives, at any given time.

q)What inspires you to keep going when the work gets frustrating or tough?

a)There’s a tiny, inexplicable place inside of all of us that keeps us all going.


q) How do you describe your work to those who are unfamiliar with it?

a)I tell people that I do whatever it takes. Full stop and period: WHATEVER IT TAKES. I’ve been described by art mogul Sue Spaid as a “post-studio, neo-conceptual artist,” for whatever that’s worth. I’m thankful that she included me in a lecture of hers once, as I am thankful for anyone else who references me as an artist.

q)What kind of training did you have which helped you achieve your current level of artistry?

a)I went to conventional art school as a child at a school called Baker Hunt academy in Covington, Kentucky. After that, it was growing up on a skateboard, studying philosophy in college and spending a few years as an exchange student in Germany that got me into the nonconventional mess I’m in now. Apart from that, I just take things in stride and hope for more opportunities to continue making work, in any form I can. Currently, it’s a batch of record covers for Daniel Martin Moore, whose debut album will be coming out on Sub Pop records in a few months.

q)Is there a tool or material that you can’t imagine living without?

a)Tool: my bicycle. Material: air.

q)Who are your influences?

a)Plato, Nietzsche, Hume, Beethoven, Haydn, Phil Lynott, Jeff Koons, Martin Puryear, Bas Jan Ader, Chris Burden, Mark Twain, Alain de Botton, John Cardiel, tons of other big names. Then it’s my friends, family, co-workers, random people from the street, and basically all of the greats that have graced the planet. Basically, whoever inspires me, however they do it.

q)What inspires you to create?

a)Name it: Anything and everything. My bio from the Weston Art Gallery from back when told good truths about that chapter, now it’s just hanging in there, rolling with things as I make my way through life. Everything is art, everyone is an artist. Life is a gift.



q)…your contacts…

a)
www.andrewloughnane.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home