Google

Thursday, September 27, 2007

Interview with Sunny Buick

q) Well, first of all please tell us a little about yourself.

a)I’m a tattoo artist and painter. I live in Paris, France. I’m american and I come from San Francisco.

q)How would you describe your work?

a)Very colorful, inspired by tattoo imagery, and pop culture, naive, detailed, clean, pinup.

q) Did somebody encourage you to become an artist?

a)My mom, but my whole family has artistic talent, I’m just the only one who was able to make a living from it
q) What is your favorite medium?
a)Water based paints and tattooing.

q) Can you describe your process, from the seed of an idea to a complete work?

a)I have periods of inspiration and ideas, where I do a lot of drawing and sketching. Sometimes the drawing will sit around for years before I finish it. I also have periods of wanting to finish projects before I start anything new.

q) Generally speaking, where do your ideas come from?

a)Dreams, intuition, other artists, music.

q) How long does it take to complete a piece?

a)A couple of months.

q) Who are your favorite artists…and who are some artists you are currently looking/listening to?

a)Max Ernst, Posada, Diego Rivera, Junko Mizuno, Mark Ryden, KRK Ryden, Dave Cooper, Wally Wood, Basil Wolverton, Jack Davis, Clovis Trouille, Joe Lieber, Gus Wagner, Alex Gross, Elvgren, Vargas.

q) Are you represented by a gallery? Do you have any upcoming exhibits?

a)I have an agent, but I haven’t found a gallery yet. I have a show in a Museum in Wisconsin called Rome is Burning and I have a show in Florida early next year(2008)

q) Do you have any 'studio rituals'? As in, do you listen to certain types of music while working? What helps to get you in the mood for working?

a)I have to drink a lot of tea first and then maybe some candy. I have to have things a bit organised around me, but it’s sort of an organised chaos. I sometimes have to trick myself if I don’t feel like working by saying I’ll just do 15 minutes of work. Next thing I know I’m happily passing hours.
q) What is your favorite
a) taste,
sweet
b) sound,
organ music
c) sight,
pretty pictures
d) smell,
fresh bread
and e) tactile sensation?
Skin, silk

q) Do you have goals that you are trying to reach as an artist, what is your 'drive'? What would you like to accomplish in your 'profession'?

a)I’d like to have my paintings hanging in Museums after I’m dead.

q) When have you started using the internet and what role does this form of communication play for you, personally, for your art, and for your business?

a)2000
I think the internet is very useful to find ideas and new people. Many people have discovered me by internet. It’s useful to be able to show what I can do and what I have done.

q) What do you obsess over?

a)Details, faces

q) Do you have prefered working hours? Do you pay attention to the time of the day or maybe specific lighting?

a)I don’t have a disciplined system. I just follow my desires and inspirations.

q) Do you do commissioned works?

a)I’ve done 3 large paintings that were commissioned. Almost evry tattoo I do is a commission. I also do a bit of illustration work which I find difficult when the art dirrector asks you to do a lot of changes.

q) Any tips for emerging artists?

a)Learn how to be a business person. Contact the press regularly, send out postcards. Go to the post office a lot. Document your work. Perfect your technique.

q)…Your contacts

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home